Saturday, August 7

Seahawks' 2006 Super Bowl Gripes Vindicated

Matt Hasselbeck of the Seattle SeahawksImage via Wikipedia
Ever since the 2006 Super Bowl, I have hated the Pittsburgh Steelers. Ask any sports fan that knows me. I cannot stand the team, the colors, the fans, the stadium, former coach Bill Cowher, Willie Parker, Jerome Bettis, and, MOST of all, Hines Ward. I dislike Hines Ward with a passion. He plays dirty, he is arrogant, and every time a defensive player lays into him, I relish in it. My hatred has been mitigated a bit since Troy Polamalu joined them.

But the biggest reason why I dislike the Steelers is because they, with significant help from the referees, robbed the Seahawks of their only Super Bowl opportunity to this date. There were multiple blown calls in the game, from errant holding calls to whistles for nonexistent chop blocks. The Steelers capitalized on each and every one of the referee's blunders, and eventually "beat" the Seahawks 21-10. The game was close enough as it was, but just think of how the outcome would've been different had the Seahawks gotten a fair game.

I have been screaming for justice ever since the tragic day. Every chance I get, I rip the Steelers and the refs who screwed the Seahawks. I often don't even recognize the 2006 Super Bowl as a legitimate game with an official result. And now I, along with the Seahawks and the city of Seattle, am vindicated! NFL veteran referee Bill Leavy recently admitted that he made costly mistakes in the big game. If only we could turn back the clock and resurrect the dominant years of Shaun Alexander, Matt Hasselbeck, and Walter Jones.

See the ESPN.com article here:  NFL ref admits mistakes in Super Bowl.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment