Saturday, August 7

UFC 117 Predictions

For MMA fans, the UFC will put on a great show tonight. The card is stacked and features a main event that has been hyped for months. Here are my predictions with some light commentary for certain matchups.

Anderson Silva (Middleweight Champion) vs. Chael Sonnen

The talk surrounding the main event has not stopped for weeks and for good reason. Silva is perhaps the best pound-for-pound fighter the sport has ever seen, but his performances as of late have been disappointing. They have fallen short of fan expectations not because he has lost--in fact, he is 4-0 with one KO, one TKO, and two unanimous decisions--but because in those bouts he spent more time showboating, dancing, and fighting the air than engaging with his opponents. It has gotten so painful to watch his fights that fans in attendance during his last fight versus Demian Maia actually began cheering for Maia. And I don't blame them at all. People rush to Silva's defense and say that the fighter is bored from the lack of competition, but Silva needs to get over it and realize that his legacy is at stake. I don't care how dominant you are as a fighter; if you don't fight, you are irrelevant in the sport.

Tonight, the underachieving champion (if that's even possible) gets a real challenge. Chael Sonnen is not the toughest guy in the division, but he loves to fight, and he brings it each and every round. He will not sit back and let Silva run around the Octagon. Sonnen will push the fight and pursue Silva at a relentless pace. He also has the power to deliver some solid blows. But therein lies the rub, because Silva is a great counter puncher. So this could be exactly what the doctor ordered for the much maligned champ. Based on the perfect match of styles, Silva could walk out of tonight's fight with a first round knockout of a "real" challenger and, in the opinion of some fans, vindicate his previous outings.  What a victory does for Silva (not much in my opinion) is a discussion for a later time. But the Silva-Sonnen match will be entertaining regardless of the outcome. Personally, I want to see Silva put on his back and taught a lesson. I'm pulling for Sonnen in a slugfest, and that leads me to my fearless prediction...

My pick:  Sonnen def. Silva, via TKO in Round 3

Side note:  the trash talk from Sonnen has been classic up to this point. He has delivered incredible lines. I will link to several sites at the end of the post with some priceless pre-fight quotes.

Jon Fitch v. Thiago Alves

I just read a report that Alves did not make the 170 lbs. weight limit for the fight. I don't think that changes much beyond the payout for Alves. As for the fight, I like Alves and his size/strength and Brazilian jiu-jitsu skills. I'm a huge Alves fan and I think he wins a tough fight.

My pick:  Alves def. Fitch, via KO in Round 3

More Predictions for the Main Card:

Clay Guida def. Rafael dos Anjos

Ricardo Almeida def. Matt Hughes

Junior dos Santos def. Roy Nelson
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment